High Court rules ANC KZN elective conference was unlawful

The Pietermaritzburg High Court has on Tuesday ruled The ANC’s KwaZulu-Natal 2015 elective conference “unlawful and invalid”.

Five ANC members led by Vryheid councillor Lawrence Dube took the matter to court last year amid alleged irregularities in the arrangement, hosting and auditing of the conference held in November 2015.

They appealed to the court to rule that the decisions, resolutions and elections are declared unlawful and invalid, and that any recognition of the conference by the ANC also be declared invalid.

In the 2015 conference, Sihle Zikalala ousted Senzo Mchunu as ANC provincial chairperson.  Other leaders elected were deputy chairperson Willies Mchunu, secretary Super Zuma, deputy secretary Mluleki Ndobe and treasurer Nomusa Dube-Ncube.

Mchunu was forced to resign from his position as KZN premier and was replaced by Willies Mchunu. In the wake of his ousting, disgruntled members marched to the ANC’s provincial offices. A march which resulted in disciplinary action being taken against them by the party.

The High Court also ordered the ANC to pay for half the legal costs of the applicants.

KZN ANC has been marred by factionalism and political violence, however member Mdumiseni Ntuli said that the outcome of the ruling will not result in any violence,

“We are not convinced by the narrative which suggests that the outcome will make things worse in KZN.

“Nobody is going to get confronted or killed, there is not going to be a war tomorrow on basis that the judgement has gone this way or the other way, life is going to proceed.

“We believe we have leadership in this country which is capable of ensuring that whatever comes out of the court processes does not create an impression of a crisis or disaster about to be happening,” he said.

 

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply